blackcat productions, a small Sydney-based cabaret and live music event production company are seeking an intern for their busy months leading up to the Mardi Gras Festival, Adelaide Fringe Festival and other major events November 2011 – April 2012.
blackcat productions is Phoebe Meredith and Maeve Marsden, a creative duo who produce live music and cabaret events. With a month-long season planned for Mardi Gras, tours to Adelaide and a number of smaller events in the works at iconic Sydney venues including The Factory, Camelot, The Vanguard and more, it’s time for us to welcome an intern into our team.
NB: We welcome interns and recent graduates, but are also open to more experienced arts administration or management who are interested in working with us.
In this small company, you can be assured creativity, active involvement in event management and decision-making, mentorship and networking opportunities. To date, blackcat productions has produced sell out seasons of Lady Sings it Better in Sydney, a sell out tour to Adelaide Fringe Festival and sell out HOMAGE events (cabaret tribute night to GLBTQ musicians). As well as continuing to produce Lady Sings it Better and HOMAGE, we are also currently moving into co-production and artist-management with other local cabaret acts.
Phoebe and Maeve bring a breadth of experience from not only their work with blackcat, but also their ‘day jobs’ – Phoebe is events / venue manager for the Sydney Theatre Company and Maeve has worked in online marketing, events and project management for a number of large-scale social awareness campaigns and festivals. The internship is unpaid, but as it is not a full time position, duties can work around other employment and commitments. Were we to find the right person, we would be seriously considering welcoming you into a paid position moving forward.
NB: Phoebe and Maeve manage blackcat productions on a volunteer basis at this time, funneling profits into paying artists and producing future events.
Events currently scheduled for Nov – Apr period of internship:
Nov – April: ongoing planning for tour of 3-4 acts to Edinburgh Fringe Festival 2012
Nov 7, 8, 9: Season of Lady Sings it Better at Camelot Lounge
Dec 2: HOMAGE at The Factory
Dec 17: Fundraiser event at The Red Rattler
Feb / March: Two acts to tour to Adelaide Fringe (tbc – currently finalising contracts)
Feb / March: month-long season of cabaret at The Sidetrack for Mardi Gras Festival; several artists booked.
Feb / March: Queer Thinking Seminar as part of Mardi Gras (details tbc)
Other events and bookings as they arise
What you get:
- involvement in a small, hands-on company with community focus and emphasis on independence
- mentorship from experienced events / venue / project managers
- the opportunity to network with Sydney’s live music / cabaret community
- skills development – reference / recommendation on completion, and during internship
- working closely with and learning from with Phoebe Meredith, who as Events Manager at STC produces some of Sydney’s premiere arts and fundraising events for Sydney’s major arts organisation
- inclusion in a community focused organisation, which supports its members in their endeavours and – most importantly – seeks to make the work we do enjoyable for all involved!
What we need:
Duties will vary based on skills of the successful applicant, but may including the following:
- administrative duties (the boring but necessary stuff) eg photocopying, schedule management etc
- assistance at events in venue assistant / stage management role: liaison with artists, front-of-house, merch desk etc.
- research (grants, festivals, producers / promoters, venues) – this work would be beneficial to those starting out their own careers and seeking opportunities
- updates to website and social media (if intern has skills in online)
- tech support at events (if skilled in this area)
Most importantly, we are seeking someone enthusiastic about independent arts management; you will be creative, organised, flexible, able to work to competing deadlines and eager to learn. The following skills would be a huge asset to our team, but we don’t expect you to have it all!
- experience or qualifications (current students welcome) in events management including budgeting, scheduling, technical knowledge
- experience in online marketing and social media including twitter, facebook, flickr, use of wordpress or html extremely advantageous
- a passion for the arts, live music and cabaret; blackcat productions is particularly focussed on women and queer-focused acts, but our work encompasses and is targeted at a much wider audience!
- experience with Microsoft Office Suite especially Word and Excel
- any grants application, stage management, venue management, FOH, graphic design, photography, lighting design skills would be a plus but not necessary
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries or with an application, resume and/or transcript addressing the above criteria.